I'm a Grandma!


My grandson was born Monday night at 11:41 p.m.

His parents called us about an hour after that and we went to the hospital to meet him. He is perfect, of course. He has so much hair that every time his tiny hat slips off I am surprised again at how much hair he has.

I gave him his first bath.

I’d forgotten how newborn skin feels. There is nothing that compares to that.

My daughter has great stories about how her labor started, but I’ll let her tell them. She did very well, even though things were difficult at the end. My son-in-law is glowing. He says his baby should win the ‘cute baby’ contest. I agree.

I got about 3 ½ hours of sleep that night, before getting up to pack lunches for my boys.

Then I went over to meet my mom at the hospital where she met her first great-grandchild. After an hour with parents and baby, we went to the house to get it ready for this little soul.

It was a good day. We got a lot done. Somehow, it felt so right to be working alongside my mother to prepare the house for my daughter’s baby. Mom had even more of a generational perspective. She came to meet little Luke after going to the retirement home to feed her mother breakfast. She returned there to help Grandma with lunch and supper. For the moment, there are five generations of us.

It is a good circle of life. Mom came and helped me when Laura was born and we are sharing that work now that Laura has delivered little Luke.

Comments

Mel said…
Baby Luke is so precious--I'm so glad that you posted a little picture! I can't wait to meet him when I come home again.
Anonymous said…
cool...that intergenerational aspect is so important and so special! the bonhams say "more photos STAT!" :) love from oregon!

Popular Posts