Gratitude

I'm writing from a motel in Denver. We left yesterday morning at 5 am.

Last week I was concerned all week that the corn I'd planted would come ripe after we left for Colorado. Either Chuck or I would check it nearly every day and find plenty of unripe corn but not much that was ready.

Becca arrived Thursday (YEA!!!!) and we had fresh corn for supper, but even Thursday evening my guess was that the corn was probably only about 1/3 to 1/2 ripe. We were trying to guess who we knew that might want to pick their own corn so that the beautiful crop would not be wasted.

My garden is at the point where the enthusiasm stage is making way for the reality phase. The chard never materialized, and some of the squash has already withered away, making it clear that while I can prepare all I want for a wonderful garden, the end result is still not up to me. The corn was the first crop of the year that I knew was a sure thing. I was getting a little bit obsessed with being able to harvest that corn and put it in the freezer.

Chuck was doing a great job of reminding me that vacation was important and that the world would not end and we would still eat good food even if we did not get the corn. There are friends and family who might really enjoy the great corn so we could enjoy giving it away.

Friday morning he went out to pick. Nearly all of it was ripe. But Friday was the day before vacation, and Laura had to work so it was also a day of watching Luke. We would do whatever we could.

Becca and I started washing the corn and Chuck asked Tim to help him pick. But Tim likes washing with Becca better than walking through the tall corn and I was anxious to pick with Chuck so we traded. Chuck is a lot faster than I at picking and husking but it was good work and we laughed as we made our way through the rows.

Becca and Tim hard at work washing corn. Then I had Chuck join them because he picked most of it...but it was too late to get a picture of him in action.


By around noon we were done picking and washing, I'd started the water for blanching, Laura and Luke arrived to join us for 'clean out the fridge before vacation' lunch, and it was time to pick up the van from a lube and oil, etc.

After lunch Mom and Dad arrived to pitch in, Wes joined in to help cut the corn from the cobs, and soon it was a party. Unfortunately I forgot about getting my camera out until after Wes had quite cutting the corn. He was getting tired of cutting himself along with the corn.

Chuck was working hard to get last minute field work and grinding feed done before we left so we needed to get some food to him in the field. Laura left for work and soon after, it was time to rock Luke to sleep for his afternoon nap. When that was done I joined the work in progress in the kitchen.

Here is Dad hard at work. He is unapproachable as far as speed in getting corn from cob to bowl. But he loves to pretend that he is trying to catch up with the rest of us slowpokes.


Mom usually does most of her work in the kitchen cooking and cooling the corn, but I got this picture of her cutting corn after I took over in the kitchen.

Tim worked hard, but doesn't look enthusiastic in this picture. He was great help.


It was so great to have Becca home for this.


Here is the finished product, ready to be stacked in the freezer.


By supper time we'd cut 118 cups of corn and packaged it for the freezer. Greg joined us for our corn harvest meal: Sausage links on the grill served in wheat buns, corn on the cob, fresh cucumbers from a friend's garden, watermelon, and ice cream.

Out of all that work, I picked maybe 1/4 of the corn, washed about five ears, cooked and chilled about half the corn, cut five to ten ears, and packaged all of it. Obviously, I would not have been able to complete this job on the day before vacation by myself.

So I'm grateful.

I'm grateful that the corn was ripe before we had to leave.

I'm grateful for family that is enthusiastic about helping and so much fun to be around.

I'm grateful for a safe and good drive to Colorado after a night with only about 2 hours of sleep.

I'm grateful for a brother that would go to my house in my absence and search for the cell phone I forgot, when what I really forgot is that I packed it in a different place that I usually do...thanks so much, Larry!

Finally, this picture isn't from doing corn, but I had to add it. Luke really enjoys Chuck and makes tiny squeals of excitement every time Chuck comes in from outdoors. Chuck was doing the Regier Grandpa thing and feeding Luke ice cream after Luke's bath the other night when we were babysitting.

Comments

Popular Posts