Work Thoughts

 I had the opportunity to substitute for the church secretary today, which meant that for an entire day, I had a list in front of me of items that had to be done today 

AND 

I had been taught how to do them 

AND 

if I forgot how to do them, I knew where to look up the instructions again.

I came home knowing I'd done something worth doing.

As soon as I got home, I took a walk so I could enjoy the sunset.


I have to admit that most days I don't end the day feeling that I did something worth doing. What is it about a job with clear expectations and an hourly commitment that makes it easier for me to stay motivated and energized than when I work at home?

I wonder about personality types. I have friends who can't wait for their days off because they have so many things they want to do in that time at home. And when they get to those days off, they actually do the things they have been anticipating, instead of chilling out and feeling like they deserve a rest. It is not that they are unable to rest, or that they are workaholics. For them, the work they choose to do for themselves is as energizing as the work they do for their living.

My mom was like that. So was my dad. They seemed to always have the energy and motivation to do the next thing on the list. That doesn't seem to be hereditary, although I think my siblings have some of that motivation.

Learning about the enneagram has given me some self empathy, because there are many ways of being. Some of us naturally move toward accomplishment. Some of us naturally move toward introspection. Some of us know right away what we want. Some of us find choices difficult because we see positives in all the options. It isn't that one is worse than the other. The world needs all of us. But the trick is to somehow capitalize on our strengths, while recognizing and working at the areas where we are weaker. That is a life long process, I think.

At any rate, when I came home, I chose to walk, and not work, even though there is work to do and I would feel good to have it done. I feel good about walking as well. I got to see this.


and this


While I was at work today, I enjoyed good conversations. I was in a space where important things were being done, and there was time for relationship alongside the work. 

I want to figure out the balance. The taking time to prioritize people is important, as well as getting things done when I can so that it is easy to say yes to people, because those other things are in the schedule and will get done.

And I want to keep having time for walks, and sunsets, and moonlight.





Comments

Popular Posts