Gratitude, November 18

Before I get into gratitude, I'd ask you to pray. Central American has been hit hard again by another hurricane, the second in two weeks. MCC is responding and you can donate here. And of course, pray about all the other very important things as well.

*****

Today I am thankful that there are people in the world who enjoy grooming dogs enough to become good at it and do it for a living. After having done it myself several times, I know I'm not good at it, it takes me all day, and at the end of the day, Fritz is reluctant to come when I call him. I don't for a minute believe that he loves it now, but I think he likes the groomer pretty much. He has been there every 8 weeks for over a year. This morning when I dropped him off, he was very excited, alert, tail wagging, and pulling me toward the door. He was the same kind of eager when he came back to me, only cleaner and much neater. Smells great, too. See for yourselves.


Next, Youth Group Turkey Dinner, this year drive through. I'm a Sunday School teacher and I got the prep emails. They planned out all the details and made it as safe as possible, served up the food into disposable, non-styrofoam containers while standing, wearing masks, at tables outdoors in front of the church where they were sheltering from winds gusting at 37mph. I don't think they were sharing any aerosols out there. We slipped our donation into a slot in a box, drove forward, and received our meals through the window of the car. Delicious.


Wisdom is always good. A friend sent me a video today on God's political party. That's a good lead, God's political party. I'm not going to quote from it much. You can go to the link. The thing that struck me most was this: Don't rely on an election to enact the beliefs you hold dear. Get involved in relieving the injustice in those areas through the things you are doing, the actions you take, the places you give your money. If you decide to watch the video, stick with it through the commercials that play in the middle of it. There is more good stuff on the other side of the commercial break.

And finally, West Wing. Politics without anxiety. Public servants who are worthy of admiration even though they are flawed. Fast moving plots that even the third (or fourth) time through, still require me to pay attention enough that I'm not reviewing the day's most recent problems.

Hoping there are moments of gratitude for you as well this evening.



Comments

Popular Posts