IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!

No presents are bought or hidden. My tree stands in the dining room with no lights or decorations. My baking is not done. My baking is not started. I killed my poinsettia.

I don't know yet what will get done, but I think life is forcing me to accept the essence of Christmas instead of the trappings of it. I guess it is embarrassing that it takes crisis to do this. I'm still fighting it. Will it still be Christmas if the things we usually do aren't done? What is non-negotiable? What will the kids miss if we leave it out? What will they like or hate about a pared down Christmas? Will they feel neglected because the needs of one or two have precluded a regular Christmas for all the rest? Oh silly angst!

I have terrific kids who love each other and who love me. They will cherish time together spent enjoying each other. This will be a good Christmas unless I ruin it with too many regrets and other foolishness.

So ....

Here are some things that are good.

A friend of our family was quoted in Sojourners magazine. The following link gets you to the web site and then you click on current issue, and then on the 'Carnival' article. You need to complete a free registration for this link.

My husband took the whole family out for supper last night after my son's concert which I wrote about here.

My husband traded in his guitar on a used one that is better and he and my son both played it as soon as he got home. I love home made made music in the house.

I heard an interview with Yusef Islam, otherwise known as Cat Stevens, on NPR. It was great, and he sings, and his voice is older but just as rich, and somehow gentler and wiser.

Comments

Popular Posts