I'm old enough to know Dan...

The other day I heard Alison Krauss singing a Dan Fogelberg song. When I said something about it I found out that most people don't know who Dan Fogelberg is anymore. I'm old. This evening my son wanted me to tell him what things were common in the '50's. I reminded him that I was less than five when the fifties were over.

It is weird to hear a song you know sung by a different voice. I couldn't hear her separately without also hearing him. The song has been stuck in my head ever since. Unfortunately I don't know all the words so I do the same thing that has annoyed my children since they were old enough to be annoyed---I sing the words I know and hum the ones I don't know.

His most famous song is 'Leader of the Band' which is unabashedly sentimental, and I love it.

I have his 'very best of...' cd, but of course the lyrics are not printed in the little booklet insert. It is filled with photos of Dan, Dan with his guitar, Dan gazing into your eyes, Dan with his cat, Dan twenty years ago, Dan today. I guess the man is more important than his music.

Comments

Popular Posts