Why I Go to the Bluegrass Festival---one of many reasons

One of the reasons I have not been blogging much lately is because our internet connection was not working and we were relying on dial up. That problem was resolved on Thursday. Yea!!!

* * * * *

Every year we go to Winfield for the Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival.

Most years I think about not going. It is a lot of work to get ready, prepare food ahead of time, pack, figure out chores and pet care, etc. It is a lot of clean up after we get back home.

While I am there, I am glad I did the work.

There is something that makes mindfulness easier at the Bluegrass Festival. It takes a day or two to happen.

The first day we are there I am still pretty much in the planning and preparing mode of thinking. I'm figuring out what will be for lunch, how fast we can pack it, whether we will like it, whether it is enough, whether it is too heavy to carry, whether we will find a good place to sit or if we will make good choices about which groups to listen to...

Once we are actually on the grounds and listening to the music I'm still wondering if I should have gone to a different stage. I can't seem to focus on enjoying the music. My mind wanders to everything and sometimes I even remind myself I am here to listen to music, so stop thinking and listen already!

By midafternoon the first day it is getting easier. Sitting in the sun and passing around terere' helps. Having no place else to go is good. Being away from my work is helpful, although I admit I did bring a few 'shoulds' with me---articles to read, etc.

Evening is even better.

By the next day the tyranny of the urgent has faded. I can enjoy relaxing over breakfast and not worry about what music I might be missing. I'm happy where I am now and I will be happy later as well, when I get to the music. I don't care if I catch up on my reading. I want to simply enjoy what I am doing without thinking about what I should be doing.

By the Saturday evening concerts it has all come together. Down in front, in the dark, listening to John McCutcheon, I am fully present. I'm not thinking about tomorrow or later tonight or what is happening with the kids, or why my mind wanders. I am just there, completely there.

Getting to experience that is what makes it worth it to do the packing and the clean up. I get to experience a few timeless hours.

Comments

silfert said…
My husband was the same way for a long time. "I kept thinking, only four days left; I should be DOING something!" Now he can kick back and just enjoy playing, or listening, or just plain absorbing the experience. He's been going since '75; it's about time! :)

Popular Posts