Sunrise, Sunset

Since our last trip to Florida I have been more intentional about sunrise and sunset. Kansas really has as good sunsets and sunrises as anywhere. There may not be waves, but there is a flat horizon and plenty of color.

While we were in Florida I realized I didn't really want to give up that moment of quiet awe that started and ended each day. Of course, life gets in the way, along with schedules, exhaustion, etc.

We are taking an online parenting class right now. I tell people we are slow learners. One of the premises of the presenter is that it is very difficult to be present for your children if you come to them overwhelmed or defensive or feeling defeated, etc. One of the ways to combat that is to change the messages we play to ourselves with our thoughts.

She has a challenge to spend time every day for three weeks repeating phrases that encourage you to feel competent, strong, energetic, able to take on a challenge, able to admit when you are wrong, etc.

Our favorite affirmation, and the one that has taken the longest to seem even remotely true, is "I wake up every morning full of energy and joy!" Seems unlikely.

Still, ten days in to the 21 days, even though I went to bed well after midnight last night, at 6:20am I was wide awake. I checked the internet and found that sunrise was at 6:55. If I left home at 6:30 to walk two miles I would be headed the right direction and be at the place with fewest obstructions just when the sun came over the horizon. It was breathtaking.

The rest of my day revolved around small jobs and errands, and the state large group music festival in Wichita. I got to be there for the NHS Orchestra and Wind Ensemble performances, each of which rated I's from all three judges. We got home in time to get Tim's tux fitted for prom and then a quick supper before the guys left for youth group.

Chuck had left a pick-up and an anhydrous ammonia tank in a field about 2 1/2 miles away. We took care of a few things at home and left on our bikes in time to get the tank back to the Co-op and then park with a clear view of the sunset. It was breathtaking.

I wonder when they will get boring.

On another note, the last of our tamest cats has died. Captain hadn't been doing well for quite a while, and he laid down close to the back of the garage and didn't get up again. Another chapter closed.

Comments

Awww, my poor sweet Captain. He would have been 9 or 10 which is pretty good for an outdoors cat.
Sunsets (and rises) in Kansas NEVER get boring!

Sorry to hear about Captain.

Popular Posts