Not Knitting, for most of one day

This week I took some time to make a square for a wedding quilt for Luke and Kat.  I was kind of stumped for ideas for design, but during a long walk on the bike path I had time to think.  I liked using a motif that identified us with where we are in Luke's past, or that marked our family identity somehow.

Finally I realized that the colors of the available fabrics would lend themselves well to a sunflower, which is our state flower as well as my favorite flower.  Therefore it identifies our place in Luke's past, and it identifies me, if not our family.  But probably it identifies our home, since I usually let a few wild sunflowers grow unhindered in my flower beds each year.


This is the final product.  After sewing on all the petals with a tiny hidden stitch, it just seemed that they still weren't firmly enough attached to the fabric.  I decided to add the blanket stitch embroidery to add a little strength to the stitching.  After doing so I realized I really like the way that embroidery changes the look of the square.

Comments

Kat said…
i can't wait to see it in real life! it looks beautiful bev! (and will always remind us of you guys)

Popular Posts