Mockingbird


We have a mockingbird that lives somewhere in our yard.  I hear it sing during the day when I'm outside, but during the day it is easy to miss.  There are so many other birds.

The cardinal with its clear sweet voice is a favorite.  The red wing black birds have three clear notes and then a trill and begin singing early in the morning.  There is a dove, and the dick sissel.  Meadowlarks are pretty amazing, but I hear them more when I walk and not so much at the house.  Then there are the chattering birds that create this background buzz that all but drowns out the songbirds.  These all compete with the sounds of the day...cars, trucks, tractors, radios, dishwashers, washing machines, etc. 

But at night, everything stops except the mockingbird.  We sleep with the windows open in summer.  No matter what time I wake up, the mockingbird sings.  It is worth being warm.  I don't even mind being awake.  The song is ever changing and so peaceful.  It feels like a gift.


*   *   *   *   *
Speaking of meadowlarks, I wish someone could explain to me the physics behind hearing bird songs while driving.  The meadowlark has one of the longer melodies.  It amazes me that when I pass one while driving, I always hear the entire song.  No part of it is quieter or fading into the distance.  It is the entire song sung clearly, and then nothing.  Why can I hear the song before and after I pass the meadowlark?  Maybe that is another gift.

Comments

Popular Posts