I'm Thankful for...

Today was a 'Luke and Aaron' day at our house, which means that they arrived soon after 7am and spent the day with me.
Luke
Aaron with me
We did many things, including building with blocks, sweeping, vacuuming, burning trash, playing in the sand, riding trikes, reading stories, dancing to rap music, taking naps, and we baked a pumpkin.
At lunch, after I fixed the boys their sandwiches and they began to eat, we remembered to pray.  Luke's favorite prayer is "Thank You For the World So Sweet".  We have to sing it at every meal.  It will be a sad day when Aaron decides that he wants a different song.

After we sang our prayer, I said something to Luke about how it's good to remember to thank God for the good things He gives us.  He looked a bit confused.  I told him, "That is what we just did.  We were singing thank you to God for things we like.  How about we say more things we are thankful for?"

So the rest of our lunch was filled with taking turns saying things we were thankful for.  It was fun and full of laughter, especially when I would say something I was thankful for (like Papa---Chuck) that Luke was just ready to say himself.  Most sentences began with, "I'm glad God made..." and then we'd say the next thing we were glad for.  Of course, with kids there is less distinction between what God made and what is man made, so we were glad God made clocks and sandwiches and bread and cheese and pickles and marshmallows and many other things.  We were also glad for sunshine, and Osage Nature Trail, and pumpkins, and hugs, and especially all the people we love.

The pumpkin was done baking and I took it out of the oven just before the boys had their naptime routines.  By the time they were both down, it was cool enough for me to work with.  I began scraping the flesh from the rinds and thinking about what this pumpkin would become.

I thought it would be such fun for Luke to be able to eat something made from the pumpkin he'd helped prepare, so I got to work making some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffins. 
 
While I was working on them I decided that pumpkin for supper would be a good thing too, so I got out some sausage and began to thaw it.

When Luke woke up, he was pretty excited to see the muffins.  He wakes slowly so he was glad to sprawl out on the rocking chair while we waited for them to cool.  By the time they were cool Aaron had also gotten up and we had a muffin break.

While the boys munched on muffins and drank milk, I worked on the supper. I mixed the rest of the pumpkin with a pound of browned sausage, about 3-4 cups of cooked brown rice, and lots of grated cheddar cheese.  I added salt and pepper to taste.  It turned out to be enough for us and for Laura and Greg, so it was hot and ready to go when Laura came to pick up the boys.

It's not a beautiful casserole, but the home grown sausage mixed with pumpkin is a good hearty fall meal.

Comments

Kat said…
that's amos' favorite pre-meal song too! it's a good one :)

Popular Posts