Missing faces around the table

So many have lost loved ones this year, as has our family.  This isn't great writing but I wrote it years ago while watching another family face Christmas without their loved one.  It seems appropriate today as well.


How to celebrate your birth
       with empty places
               round the table,
missing eyes that once met mine.

Christmas is the family holiday.

Every song, treat, smell, candle
           reminds me…
All the things to be done,
           gifts to buy,
           decorations to put up
                     emphasize the loss…
                     the ragged hole
                     left by my loved one
                                   gone.

Why must I celebrate?

Because Christmas is for me.

You, Holy Father,
             must have felt the aching loneliness I feel
                                    when he left.
Yet You lit the skies with stars
              and music beyond any I can imagine.

Jesus, Holy Child,
              must have known my lostness
                         nakedness
                                   vulnerability
              when you exchanged your oneness with the Father
                          for a long distance relationship.

So I’ll light my candle with you,
              Holy Spirit,
                           here with me
               waiting for Christmas
                           celebrated in completeness
                                         with the Holy Trinity
                                         and
                                         my loved ones
                eternally surrounded
    by the music and the stars
                                         I missed out on so long ago.


Comments

Popular Posts