It seems to be over for this round.

Last May I wrote this post about my depression. Those of you who commented were kind and supportive. So many others whom I meet regularly were helpful, understanding, sharing of their own stories and respectful of the ways our stories were the same and different.

And now it's over. I feel happy. I have energy. I have too many things I'd love to do instead of no motivation. I'm off the meds and finished for now with therapy.

I want to thank those of you who know me for your kindnesses. I've been humbled by all the grace I was offered when I was doing less than my share and letting go of things I usually take care of. I don't know why this depression has ended so quickly. I did some of the things I knew I could do to help, like asking for help, getting therapy, taking meds... I tried to learn to set boundaries to protect my emotional health. I worked at loving myself more and blaming myself less, and at trying to see how deeply God loves me, with my strengths as well as my failures.

But I didn't do other things that are usually important...exercise, meditation, writing in my journal...well, I wrote a little, but not much.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I'm glad it's over, and I love feeling happy and motivated again, but I don't want to imply that there are simple tricks that everyone can do to end their depression. Depression is more complicated than that. People are more complicated than that.

And now that I'm not depressed I'm enjoying more exercise and I'm taking on new challenges, a little at a time. But I'll write more about some of that in another post.

Laughing with Aaron



Comments

Popular Posts