In the dirt on Earth Day



I didn't know it was Earth Day until after I left the garden and happened to check facebook.

The garden is a mess. Last year was a rough year and the garden was one of the things that had to get left behind while I worked on healing. I knew it was bad out there so I've been putting off working in it. I seeded the spinach and beets in my perenial bed. I planted snap peas and broccoli and brussels sprouts (something we haven't tried to grow before) in the flower bed close to the house.

Brussels sprouts and broccoli next to the house

About a week ago I decided to walk close enough to my vegetable garden to look inside. I didn't actually step in, but I looked. I was delighted to find that rhubarb and asparagus were still growing, in spite of my neglect.

Asparagus and rhubarb cleaned up

More rhubarb

My parents came over Monday and cleaned up the weeds around the rhubarb while I began working one of the raised beds. I had to go in early to get supper before some evening plans, but they stayed long enough to clear weeds off another bed.

Yesterday I was able to plant a little more broccoli and a dozen tomato plants after working another bed. Now all those things are watered and ready for mulch. 

The part of the garden that is worked.

the work still waiting to be done

I could have stayed there a lot longer, but the mowing needed attention too, and I'd already had enough aerobic exercise for one day.

Mowed center yard
Mowed front yard

I promise not to put up pictures every time I mow the yard.

I'm glad to be reminded of the goodness of working in the dirt. Also the goodness of having motivation and energy. After last summer and depression I no longer take that for granted. It is such a relief to feel better. I have more humility about getting things done now. It feels great to accomplish things that are measurable, certainly. But the amount of energy necessary to do that is so much less now than it was last year. Doing the garden last year was insurmountable. This year it is fun. It isn't anything in my character that makes me better this year than last. I wasn't lazy then and strong now. 

I have to be careful with this, because it is important even when depressed to force yourself into some activity, some normal tasks. But the amount of energy needed to do so is different, and the amount of exhaustion that follows is also different. It required so much more energy and so much more rest afterwards during the depression than now when my spirits are back to normal.The gentleness and empathy that I was offered by those who love me was more than I could offer myself during that time and I'm grateful for it.

I came in after mowing to check email and take a break. I found out that Harvey's intermediate obedience class was not going to be at 7pm, but rather at 4:45pm...leaving me barely enough time to shower before racing to Wichita for class. We made it. He did well, making no more mistakes than any of the other dogs and getting lots of attention for his stunning appearance. 

He loves class and today is pumped and eager for commands to obey. He seems to want to show me what he is capable of...just a big show-off, I guess...a very very big show-off.

Comments

Popular Posts