Planting hope

Today was one of those days that needed hope, and while sometimes those days make me retreat into the lack of hope, this time it was different.

There were a lot of tasks on my list for today, and I got a good start on some of them. But then I decided today would be a good day to do one of those jobs I've been putting off a long time.

The plants I have are low maintenance plants, so they can do well even with neglect. The red Christmas cactus has finished blooming now. I promised someone a new plant from a cutting of this cactus. So that was the incentive to get my hands in dirt.

One thing led to another. Choosing pots, mixing potting soil, removing long segments of cacti branches, arranging them in pots filled with moistened potting soil. I got carried away. There are four new plants started from the original plant, which was a gift to me two years ago.






So now the mess was already made. Why not keep going. I have an African violet that has three side plants growing with it in it's crowded pot. I searched out more pots, mixed more soil, and planted the violets.

One of the separated violets

Now what? I have a succulent that has gotten leggy and ugly. It is one that grows easily from discarded leaves, so I discarded the plant, refilled the pot with more soil, and laid out pudgy leaves across the surface. It will be fun to watch them spring up.



I'm on a roll, so I may as well tackle the one I've put off the longest. There are two airplane plants upstairs that have outgrown their pots. I've put them off for years, not certain I wanted to go to the trouble of hauling large planters downstairs, and dreading the tackling of root bound plants. But since I had enough success under my belt already, I decided I might as well continue.

One large pot with an airplane plant is enough for me, so I was reducing from two to one, and killing both plants in order to start new from the numerous runners dangling from all sides of the pots. I ran out of soil and brought in composted soil to mix with my potting soil to fill the over sized planter.

When I finally got it all put together, placed upstairs in its spot, and watered, I sat back to look at it. Instead of a drooping top heavy plant  needing attention, I have a planter full of promise. It sits where the steeply slanting south sun can hit it nearly all day. It's a sign of hope. Just what I needed.


After cleaning up the mess from planting, I checked on the orchid bud. It's stretching and swelling. Can't wait for the unfolding of this beauty.


While I worked I reminded myself of things that are cause for hope, such as the outcome of the Alabama senatorial election today.  

When I did the grocery shopping today, a young friend who happens to work at the store got in line behind me at the checkout counter. Maybe he didn't choose my line on purpose, I can't know. But he made me feel as though he did with his warm greeting and cheerful conversation.

It is the advent season. It is time to recognize that hope can burst upon our lives, even when it looks unlikely, or impossible. 
Impossible? 
That word is often a lie we repeat to ourselves just when we most need to remember the truth. This evening as I end the day, I will add the truth telling to my practice. 

Comments

Popular Posts