Teaching Sunday School

I had a chance to teach Sunday School this morning. The mother who was going to teach second grade had to stay home with a sick child so I stepped in.

I love teaching second grade. This particular class is very busy. It is a complete challenge to give directions or change activities. At the same time, they have such great hearts. I always learn more than I teach when I spend the Sunday School hour with kids.

It was pretty hard to get everyone on the same page before the story so I waited just a moment to let them know I didn't want to roar over their voices. Then I started talking pretty quietly and even the most wiggly among them was instantly involved.

When I was done I asked them if they could ask God anything at all, was there anything more they would like to know about the story. This is my favorite part of every lesson. Often there is not something profound, but if there is going to be something for me to chew on later, it will be here. They haven't learned yet what is 'OK' and what is not so they will ask anything. Sometimes they dialog about what answers they think God would have for them. Sometimes we all agree that we wish we knew more.

Someday I want to get back out of committee work so that I can teach every week again. I love this stuff.

Comments

Popular Posts