A Change in Routine

I haven’t written in a while. I’m not sure if I’m awake enough to write now, but I miss it and I need it.

I’ve just finished two days of meetings with and advisory council for Timbrel, a Mennonite publication for women. This is my second year on this council. We met twice last year and now this weekend. One of the women I meet with has been a good friend since well before I joined this council, but the other two seem like old friends even though we haven’t been together often.

These are women who are honest about their lives and their faith, who are not afraid to say they have struggled. They affirm each other’s gifts. They work out their differences. They are invested in service and in living out their faith.

Our tasks included evaluating and setting direction for the magazine as well as giving editorial counsel for a new Bible study guide. It was stimulating and invigorating discussion.

In the total scheme of things, I doubt that what I did today had more impact on the world than when I am home, caring for my family. Probably it had less. Yet it nourished me and I’m glad for the brief change in the routine.

Another change in routine is coming up. We are taking a trip to Florida for a week. NOT DISNEY WORLD!!!! Our 25th and 30th anniversaries have come and gone and we have not really celebrated either. One morning recently, Chuck woke me up to tell me that his chores are minimal right now and it would be a good time to get away. We often take a weekend away about now, but Chuck said we should go for a whole week. We haven’t been away from the kids for a whole week ever.

Hopefully the weather will be nice and we can walk on the beach, or maybe even swim. We’ll have time to read and talk and dream. I bought a wifi card for my laptop so I can blog from there---if I can remember my password without my mozilla password file.

Comments

Popular Posts