Extended Parenting

Yesterday we were talking about empty nest. We have friends who have two kids. Their kids were born about fifteen months apart. It is taking them nineteen years to go from birth to having both kids out of high school and launched into college.

We've had kids at home for 29 1/2 years and we still have about 5 more years to go if they leave after high school. I can't imagine what life will be like without the stimulation of another generation in my house. I suppose if I had really nasty teenagers it would be different, but I've been fortunate to have really great teenagers.

I think I'll take the loud garage bands, the crazy schedules, the messy rooms, the dirty socks under the couch, and the midnight calls to see if they can stay out a bit longer without quite so much complaining. All too soon this house will be more quiet than I like.

Comments

Popular Posts