Florida 3-Wildlife

We had one of those days. Maybe you don't have them but we do. Finally tired of trying to work out plans together and just want the other person to really want to do exactly what you want to do and really really annoyed when they don't... So we had our meltdown on our trip to the Keys.

Here is the devil.


Here is the she-devil.


So we turned around at Key Largo and went back to the beach by our resort. And it was nice, and we swam. Actually, completely not true to form, I was the first one in the water and the last one out. This is partly due to the water being warmer than I expected, and partly due to Chuck's weight loss which makes him get cold a lot faster than I do. But the water was nice (to me) and the shallow area just goes on and on and on. (kind of like these blog posts)

Sometime while I was swimming I noticed that my arm was stinging a bit, but it wasn't bad and I didn't worry about it. I thought I might be allergic to something in the sunscreen or the water.

When I left the beach to shower the salt water out of my hair, I realized that I had an area of hives all around my left elbow. I rushed back to the room to wash off whatever it was I had reacted to.

I showed it to Chuck when he came back and he wondered about jellyfish. We looked them up on the internet. They sounded a lot more painful than what I was experiencing, and the info stated that the rash/blisters could last for 1-2 weeks. Probably it was something else.

After the beach, we decided to go back to the beach side mall for supper again. We thought we might try out a different food, but ended up with Greek again. While we were there a live band playing covers of old rock and roll songs started up. It wasn't really a band, but two old guys with electric guitars and very fancy amps. If you like bands that do cover songs of old rock and roll favorites (sorry Ben) this was a great duo.


We stood around to listen, and quite a few people were dancing. It was fun music and a great beat and soon we were dancing too. Even Chuck. No I don't have pictures, but it was fun and I got a second workout (including my swim as the first).

The forecast is for rain tomorrow so we knew that today was probably our last chance for a beach sunrise.


The sunlight was reflecting off the windows in the distance.


After the sunrise Chuck went for a run while I ate some breakfast on the beach, peach pie, no less. Mostly peach flavored thickened filling and a couple of tiny pieces of peach.


A seagull decided to join me, even getting on my blanket at one point.

When Chuck got back I went for a fast walk on the beach, and this is what I found all along the water line.



Maybe it was jellyfish after all.

Chuck was at the beach while I've been having devotions and writing here. He said that there are lots more jellyfish washed on shore now---almost too many to avoid if you want to walk through the area closest too the water. There is a second kind that is about the size of a miniature marshmallow, but nearly clear with just a hint of pink tint. Guess we won't swim today.

We were going to go to an organic farmer's market today, but the traffic that direction was unbelievable today. We turned around and headed to a downtown spot where we had seen a shop that had a sign for empanadas. The shop turned out to be closed today, but the area had a lot of interesting restaurants with outdoor dining. Chuck was in charge of choosing lunch so we went up and down the block twice and settled on Chocolada, which served sandwiches and pasta at lunch and had a store full of wonderful desserts. We both had Chicken Scampi, and shared chocolate cheescake with a tall frappucchino for dessert. Here is Chuck with the frappuchino. I should have gotten my camera out before the cheesecake was devoured.


This evening we rented a movie and had a quiet evening at home. More tomorrow.

Comments

spiderwart said…
Wow, those jelly fish look really beautiful, I feel sorry for them stranded on the beach! Glad your sting isn't too painful. Has it gotten any better?

We are managing ok with out our grammy and grampa here. Luke had fun with Bartel grandparents on Friday when I was on call and never got called in, we both did really. He was in high gear most of the time but did take a rather short nap for about 45 minutes I think. Both grandparents really had a good time getting him going and he loved it too and egged them on, such a ham! He ate a ton too, Grandma kept getting out more fruit and crackers and swiebach and icecream!!! I took a few pics and several videos but I don't think they do it justice!

Glad you are having fun, wish I could be there to see you on Tues but maybe I'll call later if work isn't too crazy.

Love you!
Laura

Popular Posts