Nostalgia

My grandmother moved into an apartment in an assisted living facility during the summer. Last weekend her excess possessions were sold at an auction at her home.

The weather was perfect for an auction and there were quite a few people there including many of my cousins, so that was fun.

I had decided not to bid on things for memory. I have such great memories of Grandma already, and I also have a few small things from her---a print of her wedding picture, a small toy truck, an old high chair her children used. I don't want to fill my house with things I don't need just because I love their previous owner.

I do need another bedroom set. With seven children moving into adulthood, we need to trade in some of the single beds for 'couple' beds for them to use when they come to visit. I'd been looking around for a year or two already. I would go to a sale and not get there in time or leave at the wrong time or not know what to bid. I would then go to a used furniture store where I would find the exact same set that was at a sale marked to twice the price paid at the auction. But I don't have a lot of Saturdays to spend waiting at an auction for one thing to sell.

I knew I wanted to spend the day at this auction anyway. I knew that Grandma had a bedroom set I liked. I decided to bid. I was fortunate and I was the last bidder.

After the purchase one of my aunts told me that this bedroom set was a wedding gift to my grandparents from my great-grandparents (my grandma's parents). That makes the set around 75 years old, and it makes it very special, too.

Comments

Popular Posts