This and That

Writing seems not to be an option lately. I'm not great at writing with interruptions and since I don't feel OK about writing when I 'should' be working the only time left is when there are interruptions. It is nearly 11:00 p.m. I thought I would be able to start at 9:30 p.m. when my 13 year old son goes upstairs. He's still putz-ing around here with his lunch for tomorrow and with questions.

We've lit the wood stove for the first time this fall. Last week it was in the 80's all week. The week before we had record breaking temps in the upper 90's. And this week we need some heat. Is it just Kansas or global warming?

Last weekend was the Kansas reception for my son and his wife. We had so much fun. It was very busy and I was always a little nervous that I was going to forget something important. Nevertheless, it was a magical weekend. My daughter-in-law has a wonderful family. Fifteen of them crossed the country to be here and we had three long and pleasant evenings together.

The first night my daughter-in-law and I had made borscht, she had made a cookie dessert, and my son made herbed breadsticks to feed the crowd at their house. The house is close to the park where the high school football team was playing. There aren't marching bands where they live so many of them walked to the park during the half time show. We ate to the percussion of cannons celebrating home team touchdowns. Everyone was relaxed and mellow in the warm fall evening air.

The next evening my husband's family hosted everyone and the musical instruments came out as soon as the eating was over. It was such fun. Whenever something with words was played everyone would join in. At one point someone started an energetic rendition of 'Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road.' This was possibly in honor of our dogs who found a skunk and got properly sprayed on the first day they arrived.

Sunday we went to church together and then had take-out Chinese food for lunch at my parents' house. It was another gorgeous day and several ate outside on the lawn. Then we headed back to the church for the reception.

There was fresh sausage from our farm made up into burgers on the grill, home made baked beans, chips, veggies, and home made ice cream with toppings for dessert. My father-in-law presided over the family band as they played and sang after the program/during the dessert. Most people stayed until the end.

Afterwards a good sized group came to our house to shoot off fireworks. The men in our family are pyromaniacs, I'm afraid, and it just is too hard for them to have a celebration without some danger and heat and loud noises involved.

The next day we cleaned the church from the reception, and the day after that I was sick. It was a good kind of sick. I felt bad when I was up, but not too bad when I was in bed. So I got to stay in bed all day without being absolutely miserable. Such a gift.

I'm back on my feel again to day. Tomorrow my husband has his first colonoscopy. YEA! I'll do the driving and hand holding. He's been on clear liquids all day with a grand finale of a gallon of stuff that pretty much washes out anything that could possibly be fouling those intestines. I wonder if this could count as cleansing?

Comments

Popular Posts