Family celebration

I've had a bit of a break from the blog for family events. The longer I am away from it the harder it is to go back, not because I don't want to write, but because I seriously doubt that I have anything to say that is worth reading.

However, it is good practice for me to write.

I never look at my site meter, so I don't know if I'm wasting anyone's time or not.

Therefore, if I AM wasting your time, you can leave and I won't know or be hurt.

That said....

Family celebrations:

I was really hoping to get some good pictures this year when we were together for Christmas, but that didn't happen. I forgot to bring my camera to some events. I didn't remember to get it out at other events.

It was good to spend a lot of time together with all the kids. We decided this year to bring a meal to the homeless shelter as part of our Christmas celebration. The food was mostly prepared ahead of time and we just put finishing touches on it before delivering it. It was good for me. In a small way it was inviting more people to the banquet, although we did not really eat together. But as the chili heated, I began to wish we were eating chili too, instead of our traditional cheese dip, because it smelled and looked so good. A few days later I made another pot of chili because I still hungered for it.

We did the meal for the shelter because it happened to be our church's week to staff the shelter. My kitchen is small so it isn't really a 'whole family' activity to get that meal together. We all brought parts and put it together.

Another year it might be fun to do a different kind of service. One of us suggested volunteering together somewhere. Whatever we do, I would like to be sure it is an activity that gives us a chance to interact with each other as much as possible. We will probably never all live in the same place, so the time together is precious.

The kids overwhelmed us with gifts this year. Their generosity humbles me. Gifts of service combined with gifts to help with our trip to Vermont and some handmade gifts...

I was going to say that the gifts make me feel so loved, but the truth is, I felt very loved before the gifts. I am grateful for the gifts, and even more so for these people that I have in my life.

Comments

Popular Posts