Pre-Lenten workshop

Thanks to Chuck's generosity in agreeing to be in charge most of the day today, I was able to go to a Spiritual Journey workshop in preparation for Lent. I did not really know what to expect because I have not been to something like this before.

It was a busy and stressful week this week and I was ready for a break, but I was hoping that this break would include a lot of quiet solitude. I really enjoy being with other people. I'm not sure why I was so interested in having time and quiet to think. But I got what I wanted.

We began last night with a brief worship and some instructions/suggestions to get us started thinking about where we are in our lives. Laurie had some fairly specific suggestions, but also was clear that if God seemed to leading in another direction we should go with it. Let the Spirit be our guide.

We reconvened for another brief worship and instructions to spend another hour in silence before meeting again this morning.

Today we again began with brief worship and more suggestions, this time for considering how God had intervened throughout our lives, and then we had 2-2 1/2 hour to work on our own. It was such a rich and nourishing time. And the afternoon also had another suggestion for looking deeper into the insights we'd already uncovered, and then time to work. We had a final worship time and then closed the workshop.

Throughout, it was comfortable. There was no pushing to share and no expectations for vulnerability with strangers. Some shared. More didn't.

So I have more to think about.

I wish I could say that I came home and handled my home life with grace, but that wouldn't be quite true.

Comments

Popular Posts