Getting Better

Today has been a long day that got better as it went. For some unknown reason both my husband and I were pretty discouraged this morning. No motivation. No enthusiasm. Just resolve to get through the day somehow.

We had devotions together after the boys left for school. The topic was “Who enters God’s Kingdom?” In our morning frame of mind we were mostly aware of all the things we aren’t doing right, so we didn’t find the topic too encouraging. We both have a similar temperament---nearly always convinced that there is more we could do. On good days that is exhilerating. We think about a need and get excited about being able to do something about it. On bad days we just feel rotten about all the things we have not done and that we aren’t motivated or organized enough to get out there and do those things.

About the only way to combat this is to just get going. So we did. My married son arrived for work and that is always a good thing. The sun was shining and there was a breeze and the air feels like fall. I got some wash on the line and paid bills. Things were starting to get better.

Then I tackled a job I dread. I cleaned, defrosted, and reorganized the deep freeze. I won’t have to do this for another year and now I know where to find everything in there.

Later I had a conversation with my mother-in-law about our son’s upcoming wedding reception and she asked if she could make the baked beans. I tried to talk her out of it because I really don’t want her to overdo things. She is a wonderful cook and loves to share her food with others, so she was pretty insistent. That will certainly make things easier for me.

We had black bean quesadillas for supper. We are loading out hogs for the first time this fall so we have some extra people here to help. I’m going to peel and slice the last of our fresh peaches to have with ice cream afterwards.

Later---the peaches were a hit, even though I didn't have as much ice cream as I thought I had. The loading of hogs was hard work (and smelly) so I'm glad I had an immediate food reward for those who helped.

Comments

Popular Posts