Puppy Trouble

We have this puppy that we are trying to train into a loveable and fun to be around dog. Yesterday was a pretty good day. He mostly got along with the other dogs, didn’t chew anything but his own toys, and managed for the first time ever to sit and stay while I put food in all three dog dishes.

Today was a little less successful. There were regular long periods when the other dogs were barking or growling at him because he won’t back off. There was a little mess to clean up. And there was this.


This used to be a neatly rolled ball of wool yarn which I am using to finish the last sleeve of a sweater for myself. It is now hopelessly tangled and will take hours to figure out. I was the one who asked for this dog. He is supposed to be a faithful and loyal friend for my son, who could use a faithful and loyal friend. I was going to get a dog and not a pup, but when the shelter had these pups born on my son’s birthday it seemed like it was meant to be. Once you get a pup for your child it is nearly impossible to decide you just made a really big mistake. There is a broken heart to consider.

I saw a book at the library called “No Bad Dogs”, the implication being that if the owner only knew how to behave the dogs would all be fine. I had three fine dogs before I brought this one home, but I’m pretty lost with this one.

************

I biked to parent teacher conferences this afternoon. It was windy, but not in my favor so I pushed pretty hard to get there on time and did both conferences red faced from exertion. On the way home I just enjoyed the ride, especially the two miles I did not have to pedal except to catch up with the wind.

************

I am impressed that more and more Republicans are standing up to be counted against the President’s push for more latitude in interrogation techniques. It is time to realize that we have become the enemy. This is NOT higher ground. This is not moral.

Comments

Lydia Netzer said…
OH. I find that yarn snarl SO familiar. Tragic. I had a snarl last winter so bad I *almost* just threw it away but I did eventually sort it out -- after the kids were in bed. Trying to sort out yarn with two children is a self-defeating project. What kind of puppy do you have? Our puppy is awful too but I love him. :D

Popular Posts