Observations

In Non-violent communication, the first skill to learn is observation. It's harder than it sounds. Observations are basic facts that anyone unrelated to the situation could agree on. I am currently sitting at the computer using the keyboard at 9:30 in the morning. That is an observation. If someone came and saw me and described me as wasting time, working hard, being creative, avoiding the jobs I don't want to do, neglecting my pet chores...all of these would be evaluations.

When another person's behavior bothers me in some way, the first discipline I have to rely on is to be able to describe that behavior without evaluation. My dog could say, I see you have been at the computer for a half hour and I have not been fed yet. All of this is true and could be seen by anyone who might be watching me. If my dog would say something about how little I care about her, how selfish I am, how lazy I seem, etc.... she might feel a little better for having vented, but I would not feel more like feeding her. I might feel falsely accused.

At any rate, based on these observations, I have decided to quit writing at my computer and feed that blessed dog who is lying on the floor sleeping. ("blessed" is an evaluation!)

Comments

Popular Posts