Snow

When we have snow storms like the one we had today, I think about Laura Ingalls Wilder and wonder how we compare. Of course we are not like "The Long Winter". I'm thinking more of the stories about the snow blowing so hard that Pa had to tie a rope around himself before he went to the barn so that he would not get lost in the blinding snow. We could see the barn all day today. I could see the tall grass at the edge of the other side of the road. I couldn't see into the field beyond that grass at all.

Mattie, my dog, loves snow. Even this cold, 30-40 mph gusting wind filled with biting snow made her tremble with excitement. It is almost enough to convince me to stay out with her longer than the couple of minutes required to allow her to relieve herself. She is big and black and glorious, and the snow against her fur frosted her with sparkle. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I can take her for a run in the field across the road.

We had the kids over for supper, a birthday celebration for my son-in-law. There were games and food and movies. After everyone left my 14 year old walked the dogs and disappeared. We couldn't find him in the house at all so we started looking out the windows. He was shoveling snow. After a while the 18 year old joined him. I'm enjoying this.

Later---They just came in and are telling me how beautiful it is out there with the full moon reflecting off the snow. The wind has laid down. I think I'll walk the dog now.

Comments

Popular Posts