Painting the house, gratitude - 20

We have hired Tim and his friend, Christian, to paint the house this summer. The local paint store had a May special, which was a free consultation on color if we bought our paint from them. Since we had already decided to buy the paint from them, this was a no brainer. The picture below shows the main color with two options for the trim color. We have chosen the color on the left, although some of us are already having second thoughts---but not seriously enough to change after buying two gallons of that color paint.


As with any home improvement, it always is more than you anticipate. After seeking out advice from the paint store, we have treated the house for mildew and begun scrubbing every paintable surface. Also, we have rented the lift.


This lift gets parked beside the house and then it can go as high as 50 feet up and 30 feet on either side, enabling the painters to do a whole side of the house without moving a ladder. The controls are in the basket, which is also big enough to hold their supplies, and the rails keep them safe. Here they demonstrate how it works. The sound you hear is Tim's mp3 player connected to a boom box playing a recording of "The Hobbit".



And now they get to work


Today, Andrea came along with Ben to work, and she did a lot of priming on the front porch.

On hot days we often like to drink terere' and eat snacks (like watermelon) on the front porch during our breaks.







Somehow I managed to miss getting a picture of Ben at break. He was sitting right next to me. I remember thinking I needed to go over to the other side of the circle to get a better angle for Ben, but I must have been distracted at some point. Next time...

Luke wanted to paint too. He even managed to grab a paintbrush that had been used for primer and got a few brush strokes on the front porch floor before we could stop him. Laura had the idea of letting him paint with water, Chuck got him an old paint brush, and we just kept filling up his 'paint' container.




Laura left for a while to get a haircut and when she came back she looked like this.


Luke knew that she was Mommy, but he was quite worried about it. He would call her 'Mommy', but he wouldn't let her hold him, and he wouldn't walk past her without holding my hand. Mostly he wanted to sit on my lap to try to reassure himself.


After a while he decided he wanted to 'drive' Chuck's pick-up, and then he let Laura sit next to him and play with him.

Because of the lift, the guys are working long hours so that we can get as much as possible done in the week that we have it. Christian stayed for supper, sausage pizza baked on the stone. Then he and Chuck worked until nearly dark while Tim went to a rehearsal. I really appreciate their willingness to work so hard!


* * * * * * *
Today I'm grateful for:
  1. A mockingbird that sang through the night the last two nights.
  2. Many willing hands to help with the work.
  3. Someone who mysteriously weeded my corn. (Thanks Dad and Mom!)
  4. Blue salvia that grew on its own in my neglected flower bed.
  5. Strength and health.

Comments

Becca said…
I'm so excited for you guys getting the house painted! It looks nice so far. Are there more colors besides those two? I know you mentioned red at one point. Poor Luke looks so freaked out. I love Laura's hair though.

1. Lots of new blog posts from my family to read while I eat my oatmeal.
2. Safe travel to and from the airport for me, and to NC for Joseph.
3. A cozy nap on the couch with Mosley.
4. A nice evening chatting with friends.
5. Mosley thought he wanted breakfast at 5 instead of 7 but when I didn't give it to him, he let me sleep until 9 instead of walking back and forth across me until I get up like he sometimes does.
There will be a brick orange that pretty closely matches the color of the chimney instead of red. There will also be a very dark blue/green. I have to decide right away what goes where on the high parts, before we have to give back the lift.

Popular Posts