You Can Run...

AND you can hide...I mean, hike.

This is the shameless commerce post. It is also the shameless borrowing of phrases post.

I bought shoes last week. I heard an article on NPR about how our bodies are designed to be barefoot, and about running barefoot. From there I decided to look around for shoes that protected your feet while giving you the same barefoot experience. There are all kinds of expensive shoes out there. There are even shoes that look like blue feet, with a spot for every toe. Most of the shoes made for running barefoot are too expensive to buy when you aren't sure yet how much you might be running, barefoot or not. But there was one shoe that seemed to make sense, was fun, and was affordable. I ordered it.

It is a very thin piece of rubber sole material, rough on one side and smooth on the other. You make a pattern using your own foot.. You punch holes for string measuring the location for the holes with your own foot. And then you can watch 5-6 videos of different ways to string a cord through the shoe and around your foot to give you a shoe that doesn't rub, but also doesn't take away the benefits of going barefoot.

Here is the version of tying I chose:


I wanted something I could slip on and off rather than retie each time I wore it. Then there was a lot of string leftover, which I could have cut off, but instead I used another video to learn how to make the decorative knot that is on the top of my foot. Now all I have to do is start running in them. In the meantime, they are quite comfortable for walking too.

We are going on vacation soon. We will be doing some hiking in the mountains and I don't have a pair of shoes that really grips the rocks in the mountains. Fortunately Land's End was having an Overstock sale. $40 trekker shoes marked down to $15 if I'm willing to wear pink. I guess I am.


Of course, like most places, shipping is free if you buy at least $50 worth of merchandise, but no worries. I need summer tops and there were a bunch of them for only $5 each. I also needed a hoodie, which was also cheap. Now I need to quit buying stuff.

We are in our one week at home in between major events. The boys got home from camp in time to sleep a few hours before our Kansas Regier family camp out, which went great. But Tim came home from camp with swimmer's ear, so he has to have drops twice a day. This means sitting at a table with his head tilted sideways for five minutes to let them soak in. I know this isn't really that interesting, but when I got out the camera to take a picture of my shoes, he was waiting out his five minutes. He asked if I was going to take a picture of him, and I thought that might be a good idea. Here he is, soaking in antibiotic ear drops.


That's enough drivel for one post.

Comments

Popular Posts