Kindergarten Turkey Drawing, etc.

 Last evening, my small group met for the most unusual Thanksgiving meeting I can remember in my thirty-five years of small group. We laughed a lot and tried multiple methods for sharing our thankfulness and sharing our lives with each other. Our leader for the evening loves creativity, and led us to be creative ourselves.

Remember drawing around your hand in Kindergarten to make a turkey picture?

We were supposed to do that, but I wanted to draw a turkey the way my granddaughter was taught, so I did my own drawing. We were to write things we were thankful for around the turkey. We would get points for all the things we listed that were not on anyone else's list. I mistakenly assumed we were to list the same number of items as feathers in the turkey's tail, so I did not win.  My sketch was pretty rough, initially, but I added shading during other parts of our meeting until it looked like this.


Another friend listened more closely to the instructions about getting points for all the unique things she was thankful for. She almost did not get her turkey drawn because she began with the list, and it was awe inspiring. The best thing about it was that she had no need to ponder what she was thankful for. She couldn't write fast enough to get it all down in the time allotted.

One of the other things we did was write haiku poems to do our sharing. Since I'd just watched my grandson write his first haiku, I really warmed to this task and managed to do six before the time was up. Some were written as two part stanzas, which I don't really believe count for haiku, but I'm not an expert. 

Writing every day
forces me to open eyes
to routine wonder.

Writing every day
makes me question whether I
have words worth writing.

And...

Chaos in the world
leaves me desperately craving
order in my house.

Chaos in the world
leaves me dull and overtired
so I do not clean.

During our evening together, I felt new appreciation for the differences between us and how each individual adds to this group. 

*****

I had a long walk with the dog yesterday. I may go back to get some of these berries to add color to my winter decorating. (because I AM cleaning, after all, to get some order into my house). I also saw evidence of a couple of deer and a human, who managed to leave a souvenir exactly in the middle of the road.




I took it home to my trash. Maybe a tiny bit more order in the world will help.

Comments

Popular Posts