In a hurry/Shopping

Last week when we dropped my sister off after the funeral, I noticed my left earring was missing. It has fallen out several times before, but because it is a large hoop, it has been easy to find. This time it was nowhere. It was cheap and I figured I could replace it easily.

When I got home I took out the right hoop and laid it on the table. There were things to catch up with, devotions to do, and I wanted to hear as much as I could about the funeral my husband attended. After all was said and done I went to get ready for bed.

My earring was on my dresser in my earring box. Didn't I leave it on the table? I went back to look. Yup. It was on the table AND in the earring box. I was in such a hurry getting ready to leave that morning that I only put on one earring. I have long hair so no one really noticed. I guess I could let those tiny holes grow shut and quit spending that vanity money.
*****
I had to buy jeans last week. I hate shopping---especially retail shopping. I needed to be in the city to get my bike worked on so I went to Kohl's. I walked through the Jr. jeans. It was frightening. Everything was low slung and I just don't want my lower back having air time at my age.

Against the wall in the Misses department were cubes labeled with style and size of Levi jeans. None of the jeans on the shelf matched the labels. After sorting through all the shelves I chose 5-6 pairs of jeans in a mix of short and medium lengths because I don't know what I am anymore. Off to the dressing rooms where I discovered that the same style and cut and length can fit completely differently from one pair to another. I reread labels to make sure. Why is this one baggy and short and this other one tight and long when they are both the same size, both designed to fit at the waist, both relaxed fit, both boot cut, and both short? I now knew that I could not find a pair that fit and then just pick up a second that matched from the shelf. Every pair I bought had to be checked on me.

Sadly, none of the jeans I had chosen fit well, so I went back to try the Lee's. They had the same problem with jeans that were supposedly identical fitting much differently. But I was desperate. I tried on five pairs of Lee's and chose the two I hated least and left the store. There was no way I was going to try another store and try on any more jeans.

Now that I'm home I hate them less than I did in the store. I'd really hoped to get jeans with legs cut narrow, but boot cut seems to be the thing right now. So for the next 5+ years my jeans will be boot cut. I'm hoping not to repeat this trip for at least that long.
*****
The local second hand store was much more pleasant when I needed a skirt for the funeral. They had a large assortment in my size and the shoppers there are so friendly. I'm came out of the dressing room to check the mirror and this woman smiled at me. She couldn't speak English but between her Spanish and her gestures she made herself understood. She was complimenting me for being small and wishing she could fit into the clothes I was trying on. I found two skirts, a pair of khakis and a pair of black flats and paid just over $12. Too bad they didn't have any jeans my size.

Comments

Popular Posts