Cleaning up, messing up

Cleaning. My bedroom is the room that gets my attention last. Lately I have been wishing to sleep in a sanctuary instead of a pit. I did not take 'before' pictures. The 'after' pictures show the three places most likely to accumulate stuff. It has been a long time since I got to my desk.

Truth? I found a big envelope full of extra invitations to my son and his wife's wedding almost 2 years ago. I found a sweater I knit from leftover yarn to donate to a program that gives sweaters to needy kids from farther back than that. I found things I no longer recognize. All of that was on this desk.


This is my dresser. We bought it soon after we got married, thinking it would serve us well until we could find something better. Thirty years later it is still our dresser. It usually holds everything that needs to be dumped quickly. Ticket stubs, receipts, bandanas, gloves, etc. The blue truck was my husband's when he was a child. The round piece of wood next to the mirror says "Best Mom on Earth" and will still be on my dresser for a long time yet. There is still too much stuff here, but I can see the wood and the alarm clock and my wedding picture.


My night stand once belonged to Chuck's great aunt and I think of her nearly every day. It usually holds all the things I've read or looked at before falling asleep at night. Magazines, books, and the mail are the most likely inhabitants, but they are banished for today.


Messing. Chuck wanted to start a project today. He suggested the garage. I suggested the dining room. He chose the dining room. He took down some trim and pulled off wallpaper on two of the walls.


There are some pretty major cracks and in some places the plaster moves back and forth when you push on it. Now we need to decide how to proceed with it from here. Can we fix the plaster or should we remove it or cover it with dry wall? Home improvement is always more of a job than you hope it will be. The fuzzy wallpaper must be 40 years old and even this cracked, rough wall looks better to me than the discolored flocking that was there before. Still, that crack below looks pretty formidable. We've got some work to do.

Comments

spiderwart said…
wow, I can't believe it! That's a big project for Dad to start Right before the busy season starts! Good luck with it, I hope it doesn't take anywhere near as long as ours have!

-Laura
SubSub said…
Wow is right! I'm excited for you! Talk to you tomorrow.

Popular Posts