Gratitude - 3

It has been quite a day.

Chuck taught Sunday School (our adult class) this morning. We got to church early, and I did a couple of things before going to our room. Chuck wasn't there yet and I found a place to sit and enjoy my coffee while we gathered.

Eventually it was time to start and our gifted musician classmate led us in some singing. We sang three songs before Chuck entered the room, caught the eye of one of his co-teachers, and nodded. A look of relief spread across the other teacher's face and I realized that I had been the only one present who knew that Chuck was prepared to teach. The other teacher was getting ready to wing it.

Our lesson included the last two chapters of Acts as we close a unit on the Holy Spirit. Chuck wanted to highlight the life of Paul. He spoke of how conversion is a turning around. Most of us turn around in fits and starts. We do a three point turn around, or a five point turn around, or maybe even more points to our turning.

Chuck said that Paul's conversion reminded him of a high speed chase in an action movie. This car is hurtling along at a great rate of speed racing toward certain capture when suddenly the driver puts on the brakes, skids and spins around, and races off in the opposite direction quickly regaining his original speed. All those behind him are left scrambling to do their three and five point turn arounds before they can catch up.

I told him later that I thought that illustration was inspired. He laughed and said that it had been the only inspiration he'd had in the preparation of that lesson.

Today was the Sunday our church had a new pastoral candidate giving the sermon. It has been a week of introductions and discussions and questions and answers. This is the first woman ever called as a full time pastor in this church. As such, there was much for people to think about.

Anita is a people person. I introduced myself to her on her first night with the congregation (Wednesday). Tim and Wes met her on Thursday with the youth group. Andrea met her as part of the search committee. I'm not sure when Ben met her, but Laura met her on Friday evening with her Sunday School class. By Saturday morning when I sat down next to her to eat breakfast with our Sunday School class she remembered all those relationships and details about each person.

This afternoon our church voted to call her. It was an 87% vote. We will hear soon whether she accepts the call. I am excited. I know there is much I can learn from her.

On another note, I started reading "Wild Minds", a book about the practice of writing. The author talks about the value of ten minute writes---ten minutes spent writing continuously starting with a given phrase. Ten minutes isn't too long. I hesitate to start two new disciplines at the same time but.... Maybe I'll just try it now and then. It won't be here because it is important to write with paper and pen.

Today I am grateful for:
  1. the hope I feel from the fact that our church could come to an 87% positive vote for the first woman pastor to candidate for a lead pastor position.
  2. Becca's last item on yesterday's gratitude list :-)
  3. finding out this morning that a conversation with a friend yesterday was very helpful to her---because I was sure I hadn't helped at all
  4. diet Pepsi
  5. warm greetings from friends

Comments

1. Dipping my toes into the very icy Connecticut River for the first time this season. I wasn't nearly hot enough to jump in like several of my friends did.
2. A sense of humor in the face of a co-worker's ridiculous attitude.
3. The anticipation of a delicious fruit salad once the fruit on my counter top ripens.
4. A beautiful bright display of blue and orange flowers to welcome me home from work.
5. The nap I'm about to take with the windows open.
Ben & Andrea said…
I like this idea---and it's nice to share with these things with others.
1.laughing about life with my coworker today
2. the feeling of responsibility that I feel lifting off my shoulders now that school is almost over.
3. email from my friend Melissa
4. walk on bikepath with Renee
5. feeling of trust and mutual respect with my high school student
Andrea, thanks for joining in today! And Becca, wow, three days straight already. Reading the lists from you both encourages me, and you have such good things on your lists!

Popular Posts