Godspell

This evening I attended the local high school production of Godspell.
This play has been a favorite of mine since I was in high school. 
The song, "Day by Day" became a hit on the radio. I bought both soundtracks, the play and the movie.



Victor Garber played the role of Jesus in the movie, and after seeing him in that role, it was hard for me to watch him play any roles where his character had obvious flaws.

I really enjoyed this production. Already at the beginning, when the characters are meeting Jesus and he is singing "When Wilt Thou Save the People?" I was moved by the way each character in turn experienced the total love and acceptance from Jesus. Each was welcomed according their their own personality. Each moved forward into relationship with joy.

Then, throughout the play, characters have moments when they must face rebuke. They mess up somehow. They get things wrong. And Jesus comes down hard---hard enough to make me cringe. But then so quickly turns the tables into compassion and forgiveness, leading the offender back into relationship, offering warmth and love.

This play does a great job of writing a variety of followers for Jesus. They are different, from shy to brazen, from heartfelt to silly, from wise to simple. Each interacts with Jesus individually, and as a part of the group. Their individuality isn't lost in the group, but rather enhances the group.

And Jesus' interactions with them are marked by several things:
compassion
breaking down stereotypes and false expectations
welcome, and rebuke, and welcome again.
deep, deep warmth.

The players did a good job of showing the emotions of the characters in the play. 

It left me with questions.
Could we follow more freely and wholeheartedly if we somehow could grasp in a visceral way 
the deep love of Jesus for us,
the high expectations for what it means to serve God,
and the open arms to receive us back into intimate fellowship when we see our errors?

Of course, it was also a great highlight to hear my nephew sing one of my favorite songs from the play, "All Good Gifts". I've always loved the openness of gratitude in that song. It overflows.

Another song that caught at me in this performance was "By My Side". It is at the point in the play where the disciples are realizing that following involves hard things, and yet they embrace it...with a little fear perhaps, but yet ready to move forward in spite of that fear.

It's a good and honest place to be.


Comments

Popular Posts