Harvest, Turkey Dinner, Good Memories

The Youth Group Turkey Dinner Fundraiser was tonight. I only was there long enough to pick up four take-out meals because
we finished cutting milo this evening
and I needed to bring supper to the field.

There is still wheat left to replant. Chuck got the wheat in at the right time, but then it got ten inches of rain and most of it was too wet to grow. When the replanting is done, then we might be done with field work for a while.

The group of pigs born in fall is gradually being weaned now so the hog work will be growing less as well. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Back to the turkey dinner.

Last year Rich Denno was still involved with this dinner
as he had been for years and years, cooking all of the turkeys outdoors in the roaster he used for catering. I missed seeing him tonight. I'm sure a lot of people did.

The youth always have a theme for the dinner.



This year it was circus. 

The sound track from The Greatest Showman was playing.
Fellowship Hall was decorated, and the youth and many of the sponsors were wearing circus related costumes.

I was impressed with the organization.
So many parents, sponsors and youth were working.
All of them seemed to know exactly what they should be doing.
The line was moving well and I worried that asking for take out dinners would slow things down.

I was wrong.

The take out trays were right there in the serving line and while the youth filled the styrofoam take out boxes with the main courses, another youth went to the kitchen and got the salad and dessert bagged up. I hardly had time to say hello to anyone before they had me packed up and ready to go.

While that was happening, others were making sure the serving tables were stocked, drinks poured, dirty dishes cleared, dishwasher loaded, and tables readied for more people. In the kitchen there were people filling bowls with cranberry salad, filling plates with pumpkin dessert, stirring gravy, checking roasters of mashed potatoes, of turkey, of corn, and baskets of dinner rolls. 

I know the sponsors have the organization down to a science, and that they started work long before today to prepare for this event. It was gratifying to see how full the parking lot was when I arrived, and how full the church basement was with people eating and visiting.

Last year I made sure to have a meal delivered to Mom at her home. Now she is gone too.


Today it has been 65 years since she and Dad got married.


I'm grateful for them.

Comments

Popular Posts