Another good soup

We made our version of Italian Wedding Soup again today. Actually, I'm sure it is nothing like Italian Wedding Soup because we don't put in meatballs. We just call it that because our recipe began with a recipe for Italian wedding soup.

I wanted to try Italian wedding soup because it uses spinach. I don't have spinach, but I do have chard, and it is great in recipes that use spinach. So I started with the base for the wedding soup.

Wedding soup calls for meatballs, which I am too lazy to make, so that was my second change to the recipe. Since the soup calls for a chicken broth base, I cube a little chicken in place of the meatballs. Or when we fix a turkey, I use turkey broth and meat instead of chicken.

The original recipe calls for pasta, so I changed it again. I have access to garden potatoes from my parents, so I put in potatoes instead of pasta.

Chuck and Wes and I love it. Tim hasn't tried it yet.

Our Italian Wedding Soup
1 10 oz. package frozen spinach (We use chard, either freshly chopped from the garden, or blanched and frozen if the garden is finished producing)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. olive oil
6 c. chicken or turkey stock
1/2 - 1 lb. cubed chicken or turkey
potatoes
parsley
salt and pepper to taste

1. Chop frozen spinach if it isn't already chopped.
2. Saute chopped onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in olive oil.
3. Add chicken stock, cubed chicken, spinach/chard, seasonings and enough cubed potatoes to make a hearty soup, and simmer for an hour or more.
4. Serve with Parmesan cheese to sprinkle in the bowls.

Makes nearly a gallon of soup.

When potatoes are not available, pasta is also good in this soup as a filler. Orzo is particularly good, but I will use whatever is in the house. About a pound, cooked separately and then added to the soup is good.

Comments

Popular Posts