Debates, Faith

The debates are currently on my TV. I'm really into this presidential race. I care what is going to happen. But I can't watch the debates tonight.

It gets me too frustrated.

I already know how I'm going to vote, and the tension about who is doing best at presenting their parts is too much tension for me. Is my candidate representing himself accurately? Are people tempted to believe the lies that the other candidate is telling about my candidate? Is getting the last word equivalent to winning the points in the debate? AAAaaaahhhhh!

On another note,
I wrote recently about having questions regarding faith. Last week my devotions brought me to Psalms 88 and 89. These are the words of someone crying out, "Why?" and "How long?"

Psalm 88 even goes so far as to demand God's help soon. The psalmist asks God if the dead can feel God's love and faithfulness. I think what he is saying is "Do something now! It won't be any good if you wait until after we are dead!" This is the part I wonder about so often.

The descendants of Jacob were in Egypt 400 years. Yes, God heard their cries and rescued them. But in 400 years, a lot of cries were silenced before the rescue.

The people in the crossfire in Iraq, the children kidnapped to be soldiers in Africa, the refugees in Sudan, the sex slaves all over the world...how many of their cries will be answered after they are already silent?

Again, I affirm that I believe in the goodness and justice of God. I also believe in honesty about my questions for God. And I believe that I can't see all that I need to see in order to know the answers to my questions.

If it is in the Bible, it must be OK for me to ask as well.

Comments

Popular Posts