We have lit the fireplace and are enjoying the warmth. It has been such a warm fall so far that I haven't wished for a fire until now.

We still have not had a frost, but the high temps have been in the 50's and 60's. After several days of that, the house cools down. I made soup and bread and that got us an extra day without a fire.

By the way, it was amazing soup and pretty great bread too. I get in trouble at home for liking my own cooking so much. Actually, I get in trouble for saying that I like my own cooking. It is fine that I like it as long as I don't say anything about it.

I went out to the garden this afternoon to see what is left. I'm letting the long beans go in hopes of saving seed for next year. If it works out I will have way more seed than I need for myself, so if anyone wants to try it, let me know. The sweet potatoes are taking over the north end of the garden. As soon as the garden is not muddy I want to dig those so Chuck can work the garden. The chard is beautiful. It is lush and colorful,and with the cooler weather the bugs have pretty much given up on it. The flavor is mild now too.

I picked half of it today and got three dishpans full. With 2 1/2 inches of rain in the last two days the leaves were clean. After washing each leaf individually in a sink of cold water, the water was still completely clear when I finished all three dishpans full of chard.

I really don't want to become a recipe blog, but this soup recipe is so good. I got it from Cindy at church. It is rich. But it is great comfort food.

Baked Potato Soup
Warm until smooth:
2/3 c.butter
2/3 c. flour

Add gradually stirring until thickened:
7 c. milk (I use powdered milk mixed with hot water to lower the cost and speed up the heating process.)

Add:
8 large baked potatoes cooled, peeled, and chunked
4 green onions chopped
1 c. sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb. bacon fried and crumbled

Heat, either in crockpot or stirring constantly, until hot through.

Melt into soup or sprinkle on top 1 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese.

(I didn't have green onions this week so I sauteed 1/2 onion chopped in the butter before adding the flour. It was tasty, but didn't have the pretty color that green onions would have given it.)

Comments

Popular Posts